***The Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread***

I wouldn't be concerned about it being too arcadey. The rewind and other features will be optional settings at the cost of how many credits a race is worth, just like the racing line markers in Forza 2.

It's a console game, they can't release a very niche game like LFS or even GTR to the community and expect to survive, especially when it's the dev houses only working title. I think it's great that it gives new racers the chance to develop and gain experience without being put off by it. You got a great advantage by learning to drive without aids in Forza 2 so I don't see why this won't be the same where people are encouraged to progress.

The graphics won't be GT5, in fact texture wise it's still Forza 2, they've just upped the moddeled in details. The engine itself looks much the same visually with overblown reflections and a distinc AA problem. 800 cars in GT5 will be overkil on the whole, as most people will only use a hand full, but I suppose it covers all bases so the Honda fanbois get their Hondas for example. I beleive Forza will have the better overall package. It's community focussed at the end of the day and it's a much more welcoming than the GT series and the hardcore sims but I think the balance will be there for the hardcores to enjoy it to. I'm a more casual racer so it suits me fine and i'm more biased. I'd love to get into the hardcore racers but I don't have the capacity to learn to use a wheel as although im a competent real world driver I can't get on with the game controllers much! Spending upwards of 1k on a cockpit for one game is totally overkill for 99% of the buyers so it wil be pad biased for sure.
I'll be enjoying both Froza 3 and will be buying a PS3 for GT5. I fear I'll only end up using GT5 for the visuals and sounds as I love that aspect about motoring and thundering around with my mates in a virtual F40 really appeals to me.

Drifting isnt racing, not to me and im not even interested in the drifting trials on GT5P. Yes it is a very big part of the FM2 community as the user video example showed that, sorry i dont want to create drift videos of impossible moves, i just want to enjoy racing and preferrably with more than 7 competitors...

Seems a shame but honestly SHIFT could prove to offer better racing than this?

Hey Mr Latte, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. For an official unveiling they have to make it look flash, if they showed technically correct racing without flashy stunts the press would fall asleep. I'm sure we'll see more of a balance as more videos are released.

I never get why chase view doesn't get enough love in these games. I almost always use it because when cars look this good I want to see them, rather than just a bonnet of in car.

I guess it's a habit I've carried over since daytona.

I have no idea why but when i had my microsoft wheel with forza 2 i just couldnt use chase view and would either use the view with just the track or bonnet view and the few times i used the gamepad i didnt mind the chase view .

I just hope there is more AA used on the cars than in forza 2 and it looks abit nicer , i loved forza 2's presentation - auction house - car modding and all the cars handling etc but thought the gfx's was abit of a letdown , will have to send another muscle car over to timbrad and let him work his tuning magic on it :D .

OMFG. Seriously.

OMFG. This looks ******* amazing. I've had Forza 2 for ages and i've recently invested in the MS Wireless Wheel (i'm rubbish, but it's lots of fun :D) and it brings a whole new level to the game.

This is a 100% definite buy for me, can't wait!! Although i'll be using the bumper cam to race the cockpits look awesome, so much detail. Good to hear there's going to be more variety in tracks too; looking back on FM2 there's a crippling number really.

The gameplay vid is the one you want to watch with the R8 racing, that shows the dash view.

I was of the same opinion of the spinning cars etc. was pretty crap, then I got blown away by the gameplay vids. :D

moan, moan, drip, moan <snip>

:D

It just isn't going to be GT5 is it? ;)

I would like 20 cars on track, 800 cars, weather, day/night racing etc, but only if they didn't have to compromise on other areas.. PD/Turn 10/et al have to have compromises on features etc, and its the mix of features that us as consumers have to pick which suits us..

With regards to FM3 being arcadey and concerning you, I wouldn't worry at all.
They've announced improved physics, including advanced tyre deformation physics, and that is the main thing. Sure, they've added 'assists' to allow a wider audience appeal, but if you are clearly happy that GT5 (as an example only) has the ability to dumb things down for casual users, they I see no real difference.. they've expanded it both ends by the statements made so far..
Lets not forget that despite our own preferences for how FM2 and inevitably GT5P stack up against each other with regards to physics, Inside Sim Racing said FM2 edged GT5P on physics, and if FM3 is as improved as Turn 10 suggested, then I'm sure it's going to be also closely matched to GT5 when it comes out (assuming they up the physics somewhat themselves).

Graphics, I think all will agree that on a lot of levels, GT5 is always going to be the 'best'.. however, lets not do injustice to FM3, it still is a huge step up from FM2, and much much closer to GT5 on many levels and it's only taken 2 years! with the added feature of cars flipping (requiring modelling underneath the cars), user livery, full visual upgrades, and cube maps reflecting other cars, to make a song and dance about it not being 'the best' would be a little harsh.

I have some reservations myself, I would have preferred they had addressed some of the points you raised, but I am in no doubt (and lets see over the coming weeks), that this may well be on balance the 'definitive' car racing game on consoles this generation (See what I did thar ;))

NFS Shift could be another good title for us hardcore racers.. I have been disappointed with Race Pro, which has the next step up in physics again, but sadly compromised too much on framerate (not even 30fps most of the time)..

Last edited:
Seriously, what's the difference between 800 cars and 400+ cars? I found the 200 and odd in Forza 2 to be overwhelming and I never got anywhere near driving them all.

It's nice to have the choice of course, but really it's just a boasting stat and most people won't actually care in the full game.

It just isn't going to be GT5 is it? ;)..

To be fair to Mr Latte when Forza 2 came out he was the biggest champion of it on OCuk by far, especially in comparison pictures etc with GT5.

He's just very very into every detail of a driving game.

Must admit I hadn't noticed there was again no talk of weather :(

Seriously, what's the difference between 800 cars and 400+ cars? I found the 200 and odd in Forza 2 to be overwhelming and I never got anywhere near driving them all.

It's nice to have the choice of course, but really it's just a boasting stat and most people won't actually care in the full game.

What really matters to most is does it have the car(s) I want..

I see GTPlanet is in full swing on the 'stats' though.. which on many levels puts me off GT5 (which I will be getting), the arguments are all centred around the numbers, which of course it's always 'nice' to have, but not if they could have reduced the 'numbers' and put more effort elsewhere..

A shining example would be PD/T10's approach to cars.. The instant reaction has been so negative towards the 400 cars (as opposed to GT5's 800+), but FM allows all non--race cars to have vast upgrades applied (and I like the fact they try to keep them within sensible reasonability), take a MKII Golf GTi, and you can have it anywhere between stock and a 3.2 V6 4WD Twin Turbo monster that will crush most race cars around the 'ring..

Now you can argue which is better, but I'd say that both approaches have their merits, and one is certainly not automatically better then the other despite huge disparity in the numbers..

To be fair to Mr Latte when Forza 2 came out he was the biggest champion of it on OCuk by far, especially in comparison pictures etc with GT5.

He's just very very into every detail of a driving game.

Must admit I hadn't noticed there was again no talk of weather :(

The rumour from an alledged employee on a forum the other day was no weather, no day/night, no active aero, and a lot of 'tuner' cars missing all due to deadline contraints..

And Mr Latte is entitled to his opinion, but for me, it's swung far to wildly to GT5 with the emphasis almost always on graphics these days..

I just hope there is more AA used on the cars than in forza 2 and it looks abit nicer , i loved forza 2's presentation - auction house - car modding and all the cars handling etc but thought the gfx's was abit of a letdown , will have to send another muscle car over to timbrad and let him work his tuning magic on it :D .

DO IT :)

It just isn't going to be GT5 is it? ;)

I would like 20 cars on track, 800 cars, weather, day/night racing etc, but only if they didn't have to compromise on other areas.. PD/Turn 10/et al have to have compromises on features etc, and its the mix of features that us as consumers have to pick which suits us..

With regards to FM3 being arcadey and concerning you, I wouldn't worry at all.
They've announced improved physics, including advanced tyre deformation physics, and that is the main thing. Sure, they've added 'assists' to allow a wider audience appeal, but if you are clearly happy that GT5 (as an example only) has the ability to dumb things down for casual users, they I see no real difference.. they've expanded it both ends by the statements made so far..
Lets not forget that despite our own preferences for how FM2 and inevitably GT5P stack up against each other with regards to physics, Inside Sim Racing said FM2 edged GT5P on physics, and if FM3 is as improved as Turn 10 suggested, then I'm sure it's going to be also closely matched to GT5 when it comes out (assuming they up the physics somewhat themselves).

Graphics, I think all will agree that on a lot of levels, GT5 is always going to be the 'best'.. however, lets not do injustice to FM3, it still is a huge step up from FM2, and much much closer to GT5 on many levels and it's only taken 2 years! with the added feature of cars flipping (requiring modelling underneath the cars), user livery, full visual upgrades, and cube maps reflecting other cars, to make a song and dance about it not being 'the best' would be a little harsh.

I have some reservations myself, I would have preferred they had addressed some of the points you raised, but I am in no doubt (and lets see over the coming weeks), that this may well be on balance the 'definitive' car racing game on consoles this generation (See what I did thar ;))

NFS Shift could be another good title for us hardcore racers.. I have been disappointed with Race Pro, which has the next step up in physics again, but sadly compromised too much on framerate (not even 30fps most of the time)..

Well firstly, Ill be buying all the upcoming racing games and judge them on their own merits. Im judging what ive seen here or what weve been shown thus far.

My comments are for fair debate on what i said, particulary visually as this looks more like an arcade machine like "Daytona Racing" It deffo doesnt look to be setting the marker and graphically PS3 seems this year looking at what E3 has shown to be the platform that is beginning to show the more impressive games.
Thats not saying 360 hasnt great looking games coming but technically i think thier beginning to reach the limits of the 360 now.

Regards handling,physics i dont expect it to be any better than R Factor or I-Racing but id expect the physics not to be actually a problem at all, if anything one of its better points. Although i hope they have sorted out the brakes this time. Adding clutch support and 900 degrees is a BIG benifit though for sim enthausiasts so yes whilst appealing to non racing game fans it will also cater for the more hardcore.

Im excited for this game as any of you here and if i wasnt interested in the game id hardly go out and by now another £180 wheel and 2 more consoles just to play it the way i want to now would I?

The point im trying to put across is looking at the trailer for GT5 and what it offers, official Nascar, official WRC (those were a shock) and the usual GT stuff youd expect its going to leave the other racing game way behind when it comes to choices, tracks, cars and play modes. That actual content, what new has FM3 brought thats offical for racing fans?

Graphically GT has moved on a lot from GT5P judging by the video and its use of lighting, detail, walking animated pit crews and being a more realistic looking game adds to the experience of playing and atmosphere it creates. ID much rather see that direction than continued use of harsh colours and pink pokadot cars with a livery editor. Its not that though, but by having 16 car races also will make the racing more dramatic and more challenging so again P Digital seem to be stamping their mark and although only brief damage has been shown from the WRC car at least its also going to be in the game. Im not wanting to come across as biased, but im basing this on what looks better to me (so far) and like ive said ill play them all but of course play the best ones that most.

The point about the car numbers is not trivial, Dan Greenawood states FM3 has got the most cars etc isnt true when even embarrisingly GT PSP has 800 on a portable. Yeah i wont drive 15 versions of a Skyline and that point is true as well but its the fact their hyping FM3 with unfactual information isnt a good way to promote it.

Look forward to seeing some user videos of gameplay.

Last edited:
The rumour from an alledged employee on a forum the other day was no weather, no day/night, no active aero, and a lot of 'tuner' cars missing all due to deadline contraints..

And Mr Latte is entitled to his opinion, but for me, it's swung far to wildly to GT5 with the emphasis almost always on graphics these days..

Sorry but graphics is if anything the sole reason most people buy a new next gen system. Its the most often commented thing on ANY game and people will always be looking for improved graphics. Flash graphics sell games a;ways have and always will.

Ive added reasons about content being greater it seems that GT5 will offer.
As for tunning cars to silly "cool street racing" type cars im not so caring for that. GT5P already allows plenty of tunning on its online races and GT5 will offer even more no doubts.

GT5 lacking Porsche, lambo etc is a benifit to FM abd possibly is a sore point but its still going to have great cars that race well together...

Back
Top Bottom