1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. kinger8938

Sgarrista

Rocketman.

I enjoyed it, but wasnt aware that it was mor eof a musical. Was expecting more or less Bohemian Rhapsody but with Elton John :D

Overall though a good story and strong performances, just the musical style isn't usually my thing

2. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

Watched Spider-man: Homecoming

Thought it was ok, better than the last two with Garfield I think. 7/10

I can't see why they would want to make it different? It should be a carbon copy to the cartoon in my books, as it was a fantastic cartoon. I have to agree though, i just didn't gel with Smith as the genie, but then no one will ever replace Williams. Let's see if they make a sequel.

3. MadMossy

Soldato

That's the reason for why they should have at least tried to be different, no one will ever replace Williams. Those are some pretty hefty boots to try and fill.

4. Marsman

Capodecina

Retribution and The Final Chapter aren't any better. I'd actually say they are worse; so.. not much to look forward to then, other than to say that once you've finished The Final Chapter, there aren't any more to endure. :p

Agree that Wesker was crap. Isaacs was far more interesting.

I've got a soft spot for Extinction. In my opinion at least, it was better than any of the others except the first. Of the four that Anderson directed (Resident Evil, Afterlife, Retribution and The Final Chapter), they got progressively worse. He did write them all though.

Constantin Film didn't waste any time in ordering a reboot. Not surprising I suppose, given the six films made a total of around $1bn on a budget of about $300m. Hopefully the guy that they put in charge to oversee the reboot of Resident Evil does a better job than 'one hit wonder' Anderson did. Can't remember his name, but he's already done some good work elsewhere.

5. ThePainBarrier

Gangster

Shed Of The Dead - 2/10.

Decided to watch this as it got some good [fake - see below] reviews.

It's rubbish.
    Even Brian Blessed can't save this one.

It tries to be funny but fails miserably.
    I think the bathroom scene where
    A recently turned zombie and soon to be zombie, "get off" by eating each others face
    was meant to be funny but it was just too uncomfortable to watch - certainly for a "comedy" film.

Looking back at the reviews, all the 9/10+ scores (IMDB and Amazon) are by people recently signed up with just one review to their name.
    As another person commented on IMDB - it's more than likely the production team doing the reviews.

6. sbweightman

Hitman

Young Frankenstein (1974) - 7/10

A fun and silly horror comedy with over the top characters, mild innuendos and a smattering of hit and miss jokes.

Good acting, story and setting, but it does drag on a bit in the second half and it also looks a bit cheap in parts, although this does add to the spoof style and charm.

7. sbweightman

Hitman

Looking back, I think it was the nostalgia factor that made me overlook a lot of the weaker elements of the film. Then again, I was in the mood for an upbeat and enjoyable film and it definitely delivered on that front. The modern additions fitted quite well with the rest of the film, and the big set pieces were really spectacular.

I imagine i'll have a similar opinion of The Lion King when that comes out later this year - that and Aladdin were the Disney movies i grew up with.

8. ricid

Gangster

17 years! Wow that makes me feel old.

9. Slam

Wise Guy

Life. good cast I thought Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, Ryan Reynolds, Hiroyuki Sanada.
    what a load of sci fi codswallop! 4/10

10. Nitefly

Man of Honour

The first film was really naff - I’m amazed it did so well financially. People just like pets I guess.

11. Kainz

Capodecina

Rim of the World on Netflix - 1/10.

What a pile of absolute trash. I don't even know where the hell to begin. The film has an identity crisis as it attempts to ride off the back of Stranger Things and Goonies with some iD4 thrown in - Is it an adult film, it can't be a kids films when you're talking about boobies, slinging adult themes all over the shop and then the kids deciding on who will 'sleep' with the teenage girl even though they're all underage. You've got phallic moments in the film too, so wtf is going on?

The entire movie is a confused mess that belongs at the bottom of some bargain bin. This film isn't fun.

12. Adnams Drinker

Wise Guy

Rocketman (2019) - 9/10

Absolutely loved it. I'd normally avoid musicals like the plague, but being a fan of Elton John's music I thought it would be worth a look. Taron Egerton, who I'd only seen before as Teddy Smith in the Kray pic 'Legend', completely nails Elton's emotional vulnerability and obnoxiousness.

And the soundtrack is obviously to kill for. Of particular note, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' is used mostly in a slow, stripped-back, melody-only form on strings and for me it turned an already great song into something both haunting and incredibly moving.

13. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Glass - man, this was really bad. Probably the least enjoyable film I’ve seen in a while. Mrs. agrees. The characters from the previous films weren’t developed at all... save for perhaps The Horde. Otherwise, very boring and... redundant.

One to watch if intrigued but I don’t think you get much out of it. Certainly no reason to rewatch it ever.

3/10

14. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Nice to see a good review of this. I seem to remember the critics poo-pooing bohemian rhapsody and the public loving it. I don’t think critics have been overly loving of rocketman (in the popular British press) but your review has made me reconsider seeing it.

Loved bohemian rhapsody - very moving.

15. Adnams Drinker

Wise Guy

Just bear in mind it’s kind of a musical/biopic hybrid, rather than a strict biopic like Bohemian Rhapsody. Songs are used to suit events on screen rather than in the chronological order in which they were written/released. Not normally my bag at all and I must confess after the first ten minutes or so I wasn’t really sure whether it was going to be my kind of thing, but after that I loved it.

16. ivrytwr3

Mobster

You've never seen Kingsman?!

17. snapdragon

Wise Guy

Rocketman (2019) - 6/10

Went this morning with the OH, flabby, self indulgent, and boring the last of which at least I guess we can't accuse Elton of being.

Not averse to musical movies thoroughly enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, The Greatest Showman and a Star is Born, other than Taron nobody turned in a decent performance (Stephen Graham's role had no meat on it's bones) too long and lacking in direction due to it's flighty nature.

Wouldn't re watch nor recommend to anyone else to watch.

18. krooton

Caporegime

Even more annoying was that it was effectively a alternate-dimension reboot of Toy Story.

Toys/Pets get up to stuff when owners aren't around. New toy/pet makes existing toy/pet feel insecure, but bother end up becoming friends by the end of the film.

I have no intention of seeing the second.

19. Freakbro

Capodecina

You should watch Eddie the Eagle as well then as he does a great performance there too, plus it's a hilarious film! :D

20. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter
    Could have been pretty great, fun premise and cast, but a bit light on both pathos and humour.

Also, John Wick 2.
    It's been a while since I saw the first one, so can't remember how this compares, but enjoyed it a lot. Eagerly await the 3rd one hitting streaming.