What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Poor Things

I was a big fan of The Lobster so came in with high hopes but left disappointed. It was a bit of a mess of a film that came across as trying to be clever but was really simple under the veil. I didn't really enjoy it and found some of it dull, some of it uncomfortable and some of it trying to be too artsy. The acting was good but the characters lacked any real depth and all of their intrigue waned over the course of the film, so much so that without spoiling it I didn't care about the ending. Technically probably an exceptional film for cinematography but I won't watch again and don't recommend it.

5/10
The lobster and killing of a sacred deer are both great lanthimos films. This however, despite the acclaim, really isn't.

Associate
Godzilla Minus One - 7/10

Decent special effects considering the budget with a half decent human cast. Godzilla was on great "mean" form too (not the nice hollywood version we have now). Really enjoyed it.

Soldato
Godzilla Minus One - 7/10

Decent special effects considering the budget with a half decent human cast. Godzilla was on great "mean" form too (not the nice hollywood version we have now). Really enjoyed it.
Keep meaning to watch this. I hear some people saying it's a bit dull though, putting me off a little.

Will get round to it soon, just have to persuade the Mrs :p

Associate
Under Paris, Netflix, 5.5/10
This is no "Jaws in Paris" as some media billed it, unless they literally mean there is a shark and its in Paris, becasue it should in no way be compared to Jaws on its artistic merits.

Associate
Latest King Kong Godzilla movie (so meh I can’t remember the name) - This needed more monster stuff and less unfunny dip**** humans. Also why does the child have a constant look on her face like she’s just followed through.

Soldato
Saw a clip of it on a YouTube short I think and decided to impulsively watch, ended up being pleasantly decent.

Cha Cha Real Smooth - 7/10

Was quite surprised to see the lead was also the director/writer too!

Soldato
The Mummy (Tom Cruise). 3 / 10
Gracious me, went in blind and initially thought this might be ok as it was reset in a modern era but quickly fell away with an unlikable TC character and a pitiful story. I can only assume they were trying to line up a sequel or something.

Original vastly superior even if that was a blatant Sunday matinee Indiana Jones rip-off.

Soldato
Atlas. Jenifer Lopez puts on a mecha suit to battle rogue AIs who’ve decided the best thing for Earth is getting rid of the humans on it.

Poundland RADA acting (even the normally excellent Mark Strong phoned his few scenes in), plot holes the sizes of Jupiter and iffy CGI.

5/10 after a few beers.

Soldato
Under Paris - Made it through half of this before turning it off. Rubbish is an understatement..
Exact same. I am a sucker for Sharky flicks, but this was dull af. Oddly it is getting a lot of praise online.

Threads (1984)
This needs little introduction. I last saw it long ago and decided on a rewatch. I am still thinking about it now as it leaves you in a right state afterwards. Harrowing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Mummy (Tom Cruise). 3 / 10
Gracious me, went in blind and initially thought this might be ok as it was reset in a modern era but quickly fell away with an unlikable TC character and a pitiful story. I can only assume they were trying to line up a sequel or something.
It was going to be part of Universals dark universe.

It performed poorly and killed off the plans

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Mission: Impossible (1996) - 8/10

Lots of fun nods to the original series. Tom Cruise doing Tom Cruise things. Tight direction from Brian De Palma.

Yeah, it's painfully 1996 in places. And some parts have to rely a bit too much on a significant proportion of the characters having a firm grasp of the Idiot Ball. But it's a very enjoyable, very well shot movie.

Back
Top Bottom