• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Ti Owners Thread

Caporegime
Mines coming today woohoo !!! Can't wait my poor old Titan X (maxwell) I'll have to find a new home for it, it has been a good servant for sure.

I have two Titan X (maxwell) GPU's, that I put EVGA hybrid coolers on.

Not sure the best place to get rid really, as they are a bit of a pain to send, but I don't want to put the old shrouds back on either.

Soldato
Gonna be more hard work sending them out like that then it is just putting shrouds back on and selling the AIO's seperately. You'll get good money for these old EVGA AIO's as well.

They'll never arrived in one peice posting with coolers on.

Man of Honour
OP
Mine arrived yesterday, got a nice solid gaming O/C @ 1805mhz, boosts well into 2g most of the time. Max temp with this O/C with a 1:1 profile is 68C (power limit and volts also increased).

e6RWKWE.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

lMde8HM.png

Date 05/10/2018, Make Zotac Gaming Edition, Born_2_Kill_83, Link
Date 05/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Strife212, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, inflynx, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Paladine, Link
Date 04/10/2018, Make NVidia Founders Edition, Safetytrousers, Link
Date 03/10/2018, Make MSI Sea Hawk, krzychowiec, Link
Date 29/09/2018, Make Palit GamingPro, mrozik, Link
Date 28/09/2018, Make Palit GamingPro, Silent_Scone, Link
Date 28/09/2018, Make Gigabyte Windforce, Quartz, Link
Date 27/09/2018, Make Gigabyte Gaming, GordyR, Link
Date 26/09/2018, Make EVGA XC Ultra, spikerules, Link
Date 25/09/2018, Make MSI Duke, Smffy, Link
Date 20/09/2018, Make Zotac Gaming Edition, LegendaryDread, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 2080 Ti.

Associate
I have flashed the bios of my Sea Hawk with 380W Galax one.

bejIa8x.jpg

Power limit is still hit hard in benchmarks like Time Spy, but in games throttling point was moved significantly higher and now I am maintaining stable 2130-2145 MHz at 1.056V after reaching stable temperature (47C at 100% fan speed). On 330W I was throttling down to 2055-2070 MHz and had to keep voltage considerably below 1.000V to even achieve that.

Soldato
Those of you with 4K monitors + 2080Ti, assuming no G-Sync, how are you finding the experience? Are you locking off FPS at 59 to avoid issues, or does V-Sync handle things? Curious how this works.

Associate
Those of you with 4K monitors + 2080Ti, assuming no G-Sync, how are you finding the experience? Are you locking off FPS at 59 to avoid issues, or does V-Sync handle things? Curious how this works.

Locking at 59 FPS doesn't eliminate issues with disabling V-sync. You can still see tearing and motion feels, well, desynchronized.

You either use V-sync and then you have maintain perfectly stable 60 FPS to avoid stuttering, or you use G-sync which feels like playing without V-sync but without its downsides, meaning less lag and FPS drops are much less visible, plus the motion is perfectly synchronized and generally everything is butter.

Objectively these are the only two quality options, anything else is a mess and you will need to have some specific characteristics to be able to accept it, for example you have to be unable to see tearing. Which is more than possible, looking at all the people saying things far more unlikely, like "smooth 30 FPS", "pin sharp 1080p" or "you don't need AA at 1440p and 4K"....

Mocking aside, after all it comes down to your specific case and this is the only thing you should care about. It is best to try all the options yourself and see what suits you.

Soldato
Locking at 59 FPS doesn't eliminate issues with disabling V-sync. You can still see tearing and motion feels, well, desynchronized.

You either use V-sync and then you have maintain perfectly stable 60 FPS to avoid stuttering, or you use G-sync which feels like playing without V-sync but without its downsides, meaning less lag and FPS drops are much less visible, plus the motion is perfectly synchronized and generally everything is butter.

Objectively these are the only two quality options, anything else is a mess and you will need to have some specific characteristics to be able to accept it, for example you have to be unable to see tearing. Which is more than possible, looking at all the people saying things far more unlikely, like "smooth 30 FPS", "pin sharp 1080p" or "you don't need AA at 1440p and 4K"....

Mocking aside, after all it comes down to your specific case and this is the only thing you should care about. It is best to try all the options yourself and see what suits you.

So is G-Sync the only cure to eliminate all tearing/stuttering (as good as it will get anyway)? If you don't have G-Sync on a 4K monitor with a 2080/2080Ti (or any GPU I guess), are you just resigned to a certain amount of tearing/stutter in certain games, no matter what you do? I'm aware in some games this isn't going to be a problem.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I have flashed the bios of my Sea Hawk with 380W Galax one.

bejIa8x.jpg

Power limit is still hit hard in benchmarks like Time Spy, but in games throttling point was moved significantly higher and now I am maintaining stable 2130-2145 MHz at 1.056V after reaching stable temperature (47C at 100% fan speed). On 330W I was throttling down to 2055-2070 MHz and had to keep voltage considerably below 1.000V to even achieve that.

How loud is the fan on the Sea Hawk? Especially at 100%?

47C doesn’t sound hot at all for an AIO.

Man of Honour
So is G-Sync the only cure to eliminate all tearing/stuttering (as good as it will get anyway)? If you don't have G-Sync on a 4K monitor with a 2080/2080Ti (or any GPU I guess), are you just resigned to a certain amount of tearing/stutter in certain games, no matter what you do? I'm aware in some games this isn't going to be a problem.

If you have reasonable framerate overhead (which is questionable at 4K) then FastSync is an option. Otherwise the only mitigation really is adaptive V-Sync (not to be confused with Adapative Sync).

Soldato
If you have reasonable framerate overhead (which is questionable at 4K) then FastSync is an option. Otherwise the only mitigation really is adaptive V-Sync (not to be confused with Adapative Sync).

Yes, although as I understand it (see article below) G-Sync trumps V-Sync due to its ablity to get rid of stutter, which is all but inevitable with V-Sync.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/7/

But if you're able top sustain >60 FPS at all times, then you're good... but even with a 2080Ti this isn't guaranteed in EVERY game.

Associate

Assuming that you cannot hit your FPS target and maintain it at 99% of time, G-sync is the only cure that makes things much easier and gives you much more headroom, you just don't have to stick to the target so tightly and you don't notice every slightest FPS drop anymore like it is the case with V-sync enabled.

But if you're able top sustain >60 FPS at all times, then you're good... but even with a 2080Ti this isn't guaranteed in EVERY game.

Exactly. The biggest problem is that many games have poor performance from underutilization of resources (old engines, poor optimization and etc), so can have even the fastest PC in the world and it won't make any difference in some cases.

Just look at my video from Grim Dawn as an example, this is MAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9V3VrrrK4Y&lc=z23dzfib3uivsrgf1acdp432ijq5r00n5sajczrvgpxw03c010c

Generally you're running a high ppi monitor so you really don't need AA at 4K. But my 2080 Ti is running my games at > 60 fps anyway.

This is just a theory, in reality aliasing is clearly visible at 4K and this 163 or less PPI (27" 4K has 163 if I remember correctly) is nowhere near the point from which you don't need AA.

How loud is the fan on the Sea Hawk? Especially at 100%?

47C doesn’t sound hot at all for an AIO.

I have never seen a fan that would be this quiet with some crazy speeds like 2400 RPM. This is magnetic levitation fan combined with MSI blades that are among the quietest if not the quietest on the market, their fans on air cooled cards are known to the best on the GPU market, and here you have it in form of 120mm case fan with magnetic levitation technology, so no more rattling and all of this nonsense. It is just a hum, nothing else, fan noise is entirely controllable by fan speed, with no other side factors. I would say say that it is as quiet as it can be. If you want a comparison, I have Corsair H115i, its stock fans are topping out at around the same RPM as MSI fan, and there is a world of difference between the two. Corsair fans make the PC sound like it is about to launch to space, MSI fan is way quieter. Turbine fan on the GPU itself is also significantly quieter than Corsair fans. Which is important because both fans are controlled by one slider, so if you set your fan speed in MSI Afterburner for example, it affects both fans.

I am keeping my PC in a different room because I am terribly oversensitive to unwanted noises like hum, rattling or coil whine, but even for me this is a really good fan.

Also keep in mind that this 47 C is on some crazy 380W bios with max OC, the single card pulling the same amount of power as my 2x MSI 1080 Gaming X SLI taken together. On stock, which in power heavy tests like Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test loop means hovering around 1900 MHz at slightly below 1.000V, the card tops at 51-52C at minimal fan speed, 700 RPM. With manual adjustments 1.000V will get you between 2070-2085 MHz sustained in games. So cooling performance is really good, with 380W bios and max OC this card is a monster, pulling 2x the power of overclocked custom GTX 1080, and I am staying below 50C full load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom