• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
You know what the funny thing is with this thread ?

Only people defending 10GB is enough are owners that have stated they are upgrading to 4000 series once out, so basically they are defending their current hardware to make sure they don't distract future buyers with the 10GB VRAM issues and not loose a lot in selling on and updating to 4000 series and I bet you they won't be buying cards with 10GB :cry: . Seriously this thread has become silly and the arguments are just comical now.

Reality Nvidia deliberately made sure people would upgrade earlier with this 10GB card and why they released a 12GB because they got caught with their pants down and customers in the know knew the 10GB was good value but a none future proof GPU due the the VRAM. Now no one said anything about knocking a few settings down to make up for the issue and in most cases the visuals are not even affected but in the future the settings will be lower and lower to the point it will make a difference sooner than it should.

Now all defending Nvidia for doing what they did are not real technology enthusiasts or are and have realised they made a bad purchase and have to defend it now and then quickly sell it on and hope they don't make a huge loss on it and this is why they are so vocal about defending it these are the same people that will not price their used cards to the sensible rate and try get more than what most would sell them on for because theirs is "special and looked after , etc etc reasons..."

Honestly Nvidia pulled a fast one because AMD had a god hand this time and Nvidia is a terrible bluffer in that game of poker with the 3000 series and the 6000 series AMD cards, but AMD also pulled a fast one too with no msrp UK stock at all and again when they did in other countries their was very few and the rest got sold on at silly rates as we know and still are in some countries and retailers even in UK.

As I said 10GB was an insult to a 80 class card in 2020 and it should have had from the start 3080 12GB, 3080ti 16GB, 3090 24GB and options for 48GB.

They stagnated the VRAM on GPUs did Nvidia and have been doing it quietly for a while and that's why Titans became so popular to real enthusiasts and people wanting to do mare than game on their GPU, 3080 is useless for any real work application and the 3090 was deliberately reviewed with such tests even by sites that only review games because they were told to do that as part of the review and to make the 3090 look better for people that game, work and do hobby applications that use VRAM.

Anyways leave you guys to go round in circles with the usual people defending a poor GPU with an amazing GPU but lacking VRAM.. But they will keep saying it will run out of grunt before VRAM as an excuse.. so enjoy the merry-go-round with excuse after excuse and reality remember is they are trying to make sure they get more money once they sell their 3080's on to buy a card with more VRAM.. bet you once they get the new card with more VRAM 10GB won't be enough once they show all the amazing things their new card can do...

Meeeh thread is pointless now really.
We had our differences, but respect.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Only people defending 10GB is enough are owners that have stated they are upgrading to 4000 series once out, so basically they are defending their current hardware to make sure they don't distract future buyers with the 10GB VRAM issues and not loose a lot in selling on and updating to 4000 series and I bet you they won't be buying cards with 10GB :cry: . Seriously this thread has become silly and the arguments are just comical now.

applause-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Its not really hard to understand is it Bill? This is why I say.. be like Bill. Why the attachment to the card to defend is so spicy? I mean we know the hill defence well the handful with brand new monitors already will be itching to replace it with a shiny new 40 series card in a few weeks right?

Glad we got there in the end. 200+ pages.

Associate
Only people defending 10GB is enough are owners that have stated they are upgrading to 4000 series once out, so basically they are defending their current hardware to make sure they don't distract future buyers with the 10GB VRAM issues and not loose a lot in selling on and updating to 4000 series and I bet you they won't be buying cards with 10GB :cry: .
Agree with all of your post but this - I'm happy with 10gb, and not upgrading to 4000 series. 650 is more (by a margin) than I'd ever spend on a gpu, and did my research. For me, it is fine.

When/if I do upgrade in a couple of generations, I certainly would expect more vRAM, or near ubiquitous, perfect upscaling.

Other than those points (admittedly personal to my use scenario), absolutely bang on.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Agree with all of your post but this - I'm happy with 10gb, and not upgrading to 4000 series. 650 is more (by a margin) than I'd ever spend on a gpu, and did my research. For me, it is fine.

When/if I do upgrade in a couple of generations, I certainly would expect more vRAM, or near ubiquitous, perfect upscaling.

Other than those points (admittedly personal to my use scenario), absolutely bang on.

Bill. Most people that bought the 3080 intend to keep it for a while. These characters stirring **** and posting fail threads like the one here are obsessed with it and make freudian slips.

Nobody has bashed the card it will be dead on for the majority of users such as yourself. As HU and other tech channels still report, when your spending lots of money on a premium product there is no need to skimp on the hardware, it certainly isnt costing nvidia much money to honour that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

It has been pointless for a long time. It is just a bit of fun pulling each other’s legs as far as I am concerned.

My opinion has not changed since 2020 :D

Bill. Most people that bought the 3080 intend to keep it for a while. These characters stirring **** and posting fail threads like the one here are obsessed with it and make freudian slips.

Says the guy who bumped the thread with a post like that none the less? :cry:

Caporegime

Reality Nvidia deliberately made sure people would upgrade earlier with this 10GB card and why they released a 12GB because they got caught with their pants down and customers in the know knew the 10GB was good value but a none future proof GPU due the the VRAM. Now no one said anything about knocking a few settings down to make up for the issue and in most cases the visuals are not even affected but in the future the settings will be lower and lower to the point it will make a difference sooner than it should.

Now all defending Nvidia for doing what they did are not real technology enthusiasts or are and have realised they made a bad purchase and have to defend it now and then quickly sell it on and hope they don't make a huge loss on it and this is why they are so vocal about defending it these are the same people that will not price their used cards to the sensible rate and try get more than what most would sell them on for because theirs is "special and looked after , etc etc reasons..."

Honestly Nvidia pulled a fast one because AMD had a good hand this time and Nvidia is a terrible bluffer in that game of poker with the 3000 series and the 6000 series AMD cards, but AMD also pulled a fast one too with no msrp UK stock at all and again when they did in other countries their was very few and the rest got sold on at silly rates as we know and still are in some countries and retailers even in UK.

As I said 10GB was an insult to a 80 class card in 2020 and it should have had from the start 3080 12GB, 3080ti 16GB, 3090 24GB and options for 48GB.

They stagnated the VRAM on GPUs did Nvidia and have been doing it quietly for a while and that's why Titans became so popular to real enthusiasts and people wanting to do mare than game on their GPU, 3080 is useless for any real work application and the 3090 was deliberately reviewed with such tests even by sites that only review games because they were told to do that as part of the review and to make the 3090 look better for people that game, work and do hobby applications that use VRAM.

Anyways leave you guys to go round in circles with the usual people defending a poor GPU with an amazing GPU but lacking VRAM.. But they will keep saying it will run out of grunt before VRAM as an excuse.. so enjoy the merry-go-round with excuse after excuse and reality remember is they are trying to make sure they get more money once they sell their 3080's on to buy a card with more VRAM.. bet you once they get the new card with more VRAM 10GB won't be enough once they show all the amazing things their new card can do...

So every 3080 owner who has chimed in are defending their purchase? Even Tommy has stated that the 3080 @ £650 is a fantastic buy including Matt.

If people paid north of £1+k for a 3080, that is their fault, not nvidias, not AIBs, not retailers, no one held a gun at their head to force them to pay such money.

As many have now pointed out, only 2 people seem to be making a big song and dance of all these supposed vram issues and for the same reasons i.e. matt an amd employee (who back in the day was insisting that 4gb vram was more than enough for 4k even though the competition had more vram....) and a 3090 owner who admitted he wanted a 3080 instead because it was better value.

Why did nvidia stop selling the 3080 12gb model? As per gibbos post and other sources, the 3080 and 3070 have been the best selling gpus.... inb4 "mindshare"

If people are doing such intensive workloads like yourself then that is where a 3090 makes sense (and chances are likes of yourself won't care that those kind of cards are silly money and don't provide value when it comes to gaming), no one is disputing this, you've stated you want as much vram as possible (iirc up to 48GB or even more?) as you could make use of this, do you really think 99.9% of people on here need that kind of vram? Had this thread title/OP been explained a bit more, then of course 10GB wouldn't be enough for such workloads like yours.

Genuine question s please do answer, will you be upgrading to a 4090/ti? If so, why?

Again, you are ignoring what us the owners have stated and there are plenty of reviews out there to show where we are lacking grunt.... in my case, show me a gpu that can do 170+ fps @ 3440x1440 in most games with max settings especially RT even when using dlss quality/balanced.

As it is there are 2 things right now:

- a select couple insisting on there being issues in "multiple" games yet they still can't post anything to show this, anything they have posted has been nuked from orbit... again, why is this so hard to do? Surely if it really was such an issue, all these review sites would be pointing it out as well as all the owners who are in this thread? Again, I have been able to do it very easily with cyberpunk 2077 and several 4-8k texture packs

- people insisting that 3080 owners will be upgrading to the new 40xx in order to get more vram yet again, the actual owners have already stated this is not the case

Obsessed with it? Says the guy who is re-reading this thread and quoting other members to try and backup his agenda :cry:

It has been pointless for a long time. It is just a bit of fun pulling each other’s legs as far as I am concerned.

My opinion has not changed since 2020 :D

Says the guy who bumped the thread with a post like that no less? :cry:

Exactly, Matt even agreed a while back it was coming across like he has an axe to grind when I pointed it out in another thread, will look for the post and link, might even add to the sig as well :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
Obsessed with it? Says the guy who is re-reading this thread and quoting other members to try and backup his agenda :cry:
So now you don't want evidence from points raised in this thread?
Exactly, Matt even agreed a while back it was coming across like he has an axe to grind when I pointed it out in another thread, will look for the post and link
And in the same post you're going to search through posts in a separate thread?

Caporegime
So now you don't want evidence from points raised in this thread?

And in the same post you're going to search through posts in a separate thread?

I want evidence of course (it's what I have said hundreds of times now but still no one seems capable of doing that :cry:) but not to have the same "blanket statements" being thrown about with zero "evidence" to back those up. That's why we call him gullible as he will believe anything that someone else says with no evidence, as long as it fits his narrative it will do in his eyes :cry: Should head over to the cyberpunk 2077 pc game thread where out of nowhere, he then brought up the FC 6 VS cp 2077 "debate", that was bloody hilarious, @TNA witnessed that too :D

Haha, I know, I did have a quick look there but couldn't find it so cba looking any longer, just thought it was quite funny how he states that yet several people and even one of his fellow club members have pointed it out about having an axe to grind :cry: Bit of a difference between doing a quick 5 minute search as opposed to re-reading a 300+ page thread picking out individual posts to pull in more support for the inner knitting circle ;) :o For someone with a 3090, he sure is very invested in 3080 owners experience....

• Haha
Soldato

Honestly Nvidia pulled a fast one because AMD had a good hand this time and Nvidia is a terrible bluffer in that game of poker with the 3000 series and the 6000 series AMD cards, but AMD also pulled a fast one too with no msrp UK stock at all and again when they did in other countries there was very few and the rest got sold on at silly rates as we know and still are in some countries and retailers even in UK.

Anyways leave you guys to go round in circles with the usual people defending a poor Graphics card (3080 10GB) with an amazing GPU but lacking VRAM.. But they will keep saying it will run out of grunt before VRAM as an excuse.. so enjoy the merry-go-round with excuse after excuse and reality remember is they are trying to make sure they get more money once they sell their 3080's on to buy a card with more VRAM.. bet you once they get the new card with more VRAM 10GB won't be enough once they show all the amazing things their new card can do...

Ooft, straight in with multiple kicks to the baws:cry:, truly is a belter of a post!

Caporegime
Tbh it just comes across as another 3090 owner being butt hurt at paying over the odds for an extra 15% performance, if that.... And with all that extra vram wasted on 99.9% of games :cry: ;)

• Haha
Caporegime
TBF to purgatory though he does use his gpu primarily for workloads as he has mentioned before so if anyone can justify their 3090 purchase, it is him:

This generation for me the 3090 was the card to buy for what I use my computer for, which is work 99% of the time (CUDA based workloads, so RDNA would not be an option for my work) and some gaming and the 3090 was so good I purchased a second one for my work rig and linked them with the SLI/NVLINK bridge to be able to double my performance and VRAM in work related tasks and in some games too that support mGPU.

Pricing this generation sadly has not stuck to the MSRP (unless you buy the Unicorn FE cards from Nvidia), but the performance increase for my work was worth it and was happy to get a card with 24GB VRAM at less than their Titan cards and I have zero use for Titan or Quadro (A-Series now for Quadro range) drivers for my work.

@Purgatory

Would love to hear on this just out of interest though: Will you be upgrading to a 4090/ti? If so, why?

Caporegime
@LtMatt

What happened to the Halo discussion?
Where's your doom eternal footage in RT scenarios?
What happened to your explanation of amds rt issues with fc 6 on launch day/month as per your very own footage?
Care to comment on your take of vram back in the day of the fury x?

Not going to happen on two gpu's bud, it's why 4GB is sufficient for 4K, even with two gpu's. To use more than 4GB consistently you'll need three or more gpu's at 4K. :)

That said i tune my settings to keep certain FPS ranges so I'm always in the (FreeSync) range. :p

Come on, amd don't pay you to sit there twiddling your thumbs

:cry:

• Haha

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tbh it just comes across as another 3090 owner being butt hurt at paying over the odds for an extra 15% performance, if that.... And with all that extra vram wasted on 99.9% of games :cry: ;)

You know more I think about it, I feel I unjustly gave humbug a hard time and that he was right. Due to the lack of difference in performance the 3080 and 3090, they are basically the same. Only difference being one costs more than double the other and you only notice the difference in certain edge cases :p:cry:

I can’t wait for next gen cards to hit, going to be very entertaining. Hopefully it will be much easier to get hold of one this time around. I think I will be going for a 4080 more than likely.

Associate
Not going to happen on two gpu's bud, it's why 4GB is sufficient for 4K, even with two gpu's. To use more than 4GB consistently you'll need three or more gpu's at 4K. :)
Don't want to speak for @LtMatt but I would point out that the above quote is from 3rd August 2015.

Over 7 years ago.

I thought you didn't go traipsing through old posts? Your comments for 10GB being absolutely fine for all games at 4K may look just as silly in 7 years :D

Caporegime
You know more I think about it, I feel I unjustly gave humbug a hard time and that he was right. Due to the lack of difference in performance the 3080 and 3090, they are basically the same. Only difference being one costs more than double the other and you only notice the difference in certain edge cases :p:cry:

I can’t wait for next gen cards to hit, going to be very entertaining. Hopefully it will be much easier to get hold of one this time around. I think I will be going for a 4080 more than likely.

Pure gold! :cry:

Lets look at the gospel chart that someone else used for this comparison to see the relative perf. difference between a 3080 and 3090:

LZW4ana.png

I'm guessing they won't be trustworthy all of a sudden now though..... ;) :D :cry:

But yes, I'm so hoping AMD beat the **** out of nvidia for RT and nvidia have more vram than amd, the mental gymnastics will be glorious and all the bookmarked posts I've collected will provide even more entertainment than this thread :D Defo will have to use a spoiler tag in the sig. ;) But alas based on what we have seen from leaks etc. so far, I'll most likely be going 4070/4080 (as long as price isn't silly) so expect the "is 12GB enough" thread and who knows, maybe we'll have a "is 16GB enough" thread :p

Each time the thread floats to the top with new posts I groan silently, but admittedly I have enjoyed the total merry go round ridiculousness of it.
It probably should be left to rest, but I also hope it never dies. I feel so conflicted.

I honestly can't wait for the day we get to a true genuine 100% vram issue just so we can move on tbh, only so many times one can go on the merry go round ride :p Funny thing is, you know when eventually 10GB will become a problem, even if it is say 6 years later, a certain someone will take great delight in resurrecting the thread to provide said example by which time all the current gen gpus will be **** and reducing settings due to lack of grunt anyway :D

Don't want to speak for @LtMatt but I would point out that the above quote is from 3rd August 2015.

Over 7 years ago.

I thought you didn't go traipsing through old posts? Your comments for 10GB being absolutely fine for all games at 4K may look just as silly in 7 years :D

Yup and back then we had the competition i.e. nvidia providing more vram, I could be wrong but iirc amd marketed the fury x as a "4k card" too..... There were plenty of other posts by Matt on the vram debate back then, I could go digging if you want me too ;) Same for his other post I quoted further back on the fury x where he goes, doesn't matter as have to reduce settings anyway to keep a certain FPS range....

Only took me 5 minutes to use the search function ;)

So again, very different scenarios :D

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom