• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

I had this, tried lots of things, posted about few pages back.

My card would boosting excessively at stock.

I believe for some silicon the driver is profiling VF curve wrong.

I tried 3 differing UEFI, stock all components, fresh OS image, turning off windows game mode and HW Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Nothing worked until I tweaked clocks myself.

Lower the max clock.

Make sure you keep 100Mhz difference between min and max clock. Even with max 2325 I can see boost of 2500MHz, at stock card went nuts, at times above 3000MHz.

See this post on OCN of mine for todays rerun of some testing from few days ago when I resolved issue.

I went from card that black screen the moment a game launch to being able to use it 10hrs+ continuously.
thank you so much for this post. my card was boost to 3000 all the time hence such high temps. limiting the clock down to around 2500 = 2540 has worked so much no temp above 60 just wish I had not got rid of my overclock on my CPU now though

I wanted one of those too, had the nitro+ pure 6950xt and it was pretty amazing. If only sapphire made less reference cards for launch and more nitro+ - they would have made more money too xD

Setting the clock limit e.g 2500-2600 massively reduces the coil whine for some reason. Despite basically the same power draw when FPS not locked. Looks like I'll be doing that as stock the whine is so bad still.

Setting the clock limit e.g 2500-2600 massively reduces the coil whine for some reason. Despite basically the same power draw when FPS not locked. Looks like I'll be doing that as stock the whine is so bad still.
Might be worth doing the kitchen roll test to make sure it is the card and not your PSU. If it is the card you have paid a lot of money for it, get the card RMAed and get another one.

thank you so much for this post. my card was boost to 3000 all the time hence such high temps. limiting the clock down to around 2500 = 2540 has worked so much no temp above 60 just wish I had not got rid of my overclock on my CPU now though
overclocking can be rock stable at a time but when you upgrade one component other components that seems stable can become unstable.
Upgrading your GPU increase frame rate so it slightly increase the charge on CPU too. Same thing with monitors, the higher you increase resolution, the higher the average load on GPU increase.
My personnal rule is when you change one component of your Rig that can change performances you consider all previous OC settings of all of your components not safe anymore. They all can lead to crashes. You may have to slightly lower your CPU overclocking now that you have a better GPU.

Last edited:
Might be worth doing the kitchen roll test to make sure it is the card and not your PSU. If it is the card you have paid a lot of money for it, get the card RMAed and get another one.
It is def the card. With my current settings it only whines at high framerates and isn't that loud so I'm fine with it. I might reconsider given how loud it is stock when the card is actually available as unlikely to get a replacement anytime soon atm I presume.

Joining fellow 7900XTX owners.:D:D

Welcome and on TOL.:)

The Owners List.

ApdsOSW.jpg

Date 17/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, NathG79, Link
Date 17/12/2022, Make MBA XT, maltrabob, Link
Date 16/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bokluchara, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, wookiee87, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make Sapphire Vapor X XTX, muziqaz, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Dwilliam, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, fendR, Link
Date 15/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, bimbleuk, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Kangaxx, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, gupsterg, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Noluck, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, JDHansen, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XT, Chewie, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, Haz123, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, ElderKarr, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, jinxpad, Link
Date 14/12/2022, Make MBA XTX, LtMatt, Link

To get on The Owners List all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 7900 XT(X).

As much as I don't wanna see others have same experience as you and I, it did make me feel better I'm not the only one.

Give the VRAM MHz a bump, you'll gain performance.

Few pages back in a post is MCT, it allows fan profile change which WattMan doesn't. This aided me to gain performance/solid line clocks.

When someone on OCN read my issue they private messaged this article, link. You'll read hardware editor tried two cards, XTX and XT, same issue.

AMD suggests use single rail PSU to that person. I think that is not correct guidance. I have a Cooler Master V850, Seasonic OEM/platform, has single 12V 70A rail.

I've used Threadripper and Vega with OC on it and had no issue. My current rig in signature, it had a RX 6800 XT under water and had zero issues in past year, with OC'd CPU/RAM/GPU. Swapped to RX 7900 XTX and boom issues, until I did tweaking of clocks/voltage.

Currently I believe driver is cause, but could be wrong. Perhaps some cards don't like the shooting clock to 3000MHz (I had that also).

Any way do post if you keep card and when new driver comes it solves stock issue or if you RMA. Just interested to know outcome. I may soon have an answer if it is driver by middle of this week. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get Witcher 3 with RT to be stable? Driver crashes randomly for me.
Don't think this this is on AMD, several of Nvidia users are reporting issues as well on Reddit, I had the same issue with my Rx 6800 (non-XT) before I got my (soon to be returned) RX 7900 (still getting 110c junction temps in RT games despite limiting frequency)

52566175348_4e7f86e98e_n.jpg

Sapphire 7900xtx Vapor X vs Sapphire 6900xt MBA
How are you getting on with the Nitro dude? You are one of the lucky few to have that card.

Don’t beat yourself up to much I did try to buy a nitro plus and the website crashed. By the time I went back they were gone.

Happens all the time I got distracted on launch day and by the time I got to it they were all gone missed it by about 15 minutes. Honestly didn't expect them to disappear that fast no-one did.

Happens all the time I got distracted on launch day and by the time I got to it they were all gone missed it by about 15 minutes. Honestly didn't expect them to disappear that fast no-one did.
Yep I was surprised too tbf.

I'd also like to see a £100-£150 price cut on the XT too. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom