***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
OP
Try a 4th pass and if you feel confident, exert some pressure on your chin. I've done that before though and gone on to cut myself. Slightest too much pressure and you're going to cut.

Soldato
OP
I find that lathering up in a bowl is better for me. I lather in a bowl for a good minute to make decent creamy lather, get rid of all the bubbles in there and really work it. I can't do that so well on my face and I find a decent lather is key.

Feathers are the best for me too.

Soldato
OP
For post shave I'd stick with light moisturiser. That simple stuff is perfect. I found things like the nivea for men after shave stuff made my skin too greasy. I did like the TOBS post shave gel, that stuff is great.

Soldato
OP
Can you translate this for someone not up to date with the makes and so on please? :)

I don't know what TOBS or light moisturiser are!

TOBS Afteshave gel.

Really nice and will last you a while, so the price isn't as bad as it seems!

Simple Light Moisturiser

A cheaper alternative to post shave balm that you can find in most stores. I find that the gloopy typical "for men" stuff just clots my face and makes it greasy. As I said though, your skin will differ so YMMV.

Soldato
OP
Merkur are one of the best brand of razor, they are German engineered and generally of good quality. Gillette also made DE razors, but for beginners you are best to stick with a standard Merkur or Edwin Jagger. The numbers and letters of the merkurs just refer to the handle and head design. The 34C is regarded as a good start point for any beginner. Check out my OP in this thread :)

Soldato
OP
Had my first "incident" this morning. Dropped my blade in the sink and on the way down it managed to skin the back of my thumb on my other hand. A very neat and tidy slice right down the back of it, just like the butcher had done it on his meat slicer :p queue much blood and manly teeth baring.

I bought a H2 plate to compare to my Above the Tie razor R2 yesterday, just got to wait for it to cross the pond.

My iKon Slant head should be on its way to it's new owner in Sweden at the weekend.

Let me know how you get on. I wan't to try some new razors soon!

Soldato
OP
Yep, there are very mixed reviews on the Derby's, I don't get on with them. I've now finished all my Gillette 7 o'clocks and on to my 100 pack of feathers. These will definitely be my blade of choice always.

Soldato
OP
Yep, try other blades and it's important to let your beard soak for a bit under your lather. Soften it up. Holding the blade correctly at a good angle will improve your technique.

Soldato
OP
I have somehow finally began to run out of shaving cream (I had half a dozen pots).

Just ordered some more and gone for the old faithful TOBS Sandalwood plus some Truefitt and hill West Indian Limes.

21% Cashback at Shaving Shack through topcashback.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom