• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Yes. And an abundance of info for them. This thread is the ultimate vega64 tweak guide.

Might be an idea to post a quick and dirty "how to get the most of your Vega 56/64" consolidated guide this deep into the thread so people dont have to trawl through pages of info to get the juicy bits? :) i know i could use it, my V64 Nitro turned up today, in my bag waiting for me to install tonight :)

Soldato
Might be an idea to post a quick and dirty "how to get the most of your Vega 56/64" consolidated guide this deep into the thread so people dont have to trawl through pages of info to get the juicy bits? :) i know i could use it, my V64 Nitro turned up today, in my bag waiting for me to install tonight :)

+1

Soldato
Does Vega64 perform really badly in Heaven 4.0? The single card benchmark scores thread doesn't look all that great (unless i'm missing something?).

Associate
Does Vega64 perform really badly in Heaven 4.0? The single card benchmark scores thread doesn't look all that great (unless i'm missing something?).
Honestly I think it's just a Unigine thing. Flip to Superposition and the Nvidia's are 800pts down on the Vega's and both are DX11. Makes zero sense. Especially with the harder workload of Superposition.

TBH I can't trust the inter-card comparisons using Unigine based bench's so only use them to compare between cards of the same arch, Vega vs Vega, Pascal vs Pascal etc...

Associate
Right I've never overclocked with the new AMD software, just about to plug my Vega 64 in, is there an idiots guide to undervolting and overclocking with this software? Is it a case of just whacking the power to +50% and letting the cards boost do the rest?

Soldato
Right I've never overclocked with the new AMD software, just about to plug my Vega 64 in, is there an idiots guide to undervolting and overclocking with this software? Is it a case of just whacking the power to +50% and letting the cards boost do the rest?
It's a good start. The lower the temperature the better with Vega. I can't stress enough how much that helps. Anyway the easiest way for me is to adjust the core by 1percent and test, just keep doing it til it fails. Keep an eye on temps and clock speeds during the benchmarks. If they start to drop you can fix it by increasing the fan speed or by lower the voltages, again, until it fails. The HBM voltage should equal the lower of the 2 voltages you select which will probably be p6.
Finally, increase the HBM. This is where most of the performance gains comes from I'd say.

Soldato
I have a few questions as a new Vega 64 owner having spent the last 6 years or so with Nvidia cards that i'm hoping you guys can answer

I've been playing a lot of Farming Simulator 2017 (don't judge me!) and i'm finding that performance with my new Vega 64 is about the same (maybe even worse) that the GTX970 it replaced. I'm still getting stuttering and FPS drops and i dont know if it's just that the game itself runs badly in general or if it runs worse with AMD cards compared to Nvidia.

Having used Nvidia cards for a long time i'm used to setting fan curves in MSI Afterburner and i've tried to do the same with my Vega 64 and it seems that Radeon Settings overrides anything you set in Afterburner. Is there way i can set a custom fan curve as leaving Radeon Settings on default is producing some rather irritating spinning up and spinning down of the fans.

Like KentMan i've also never OC'd with Radeon Settings and i'm hesitant to try as i really dont know what i'm doing. I've read the overclocking guide linked in the OP of this thread but i think it was written around stock Vega 64 with lower clocks and voltage than my Sapphire Nitro+ so i'm not really sure where to start with my card.

Thanks a bunch.

Soldato
Hey bud had a look unfortunately not
hmmmm seems asus are telling porky pies. I'll keep you posted on how I get on with asus - though they have stopped replying to my messages as of a week ago. pretty shoddy cs if you ask me. I've actually raised an rma with ocuk for the card - i'll not take it up though if asus make some effort to reply. if not i'll return it and go with the nitro currently on offer (though it'll take a bit of shoe horning to get the bugger in)

Last edited:
Soldato
hmmmm seems asus are telling porky pies. I'll keep you posted on how I get on with asus - though they have stopped replying to my messages as of a week ago. pretty shoddy cs if you ask me. I've actually raised an rma with ocuk for the card - i'll not take it up though if asus make some effort to reply. if not i'll return it and go with the nitro currently on offer (though it'll take a bit of shoe horning to get the bugger in)

Hey man why are you Rmaing? I'm in the process because of a weird line appearing and nightmarish coil while, your post actually pushed me in to Rmaing it for an alternate card.

But I like the strix design and the three years warranty

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey man why are you Rmaing? I'm in the process because of a weird line appearing and nightmarish coil while, your poathas actually pushed me in to Rmaing it for an alternate card.

But I like the strix design and the three years warranty
purely off the back of asus cs. nowt wrong with the card. love the looks and the performance. but they told me the code should be in the box and have then ignored all my emails since. if they had even emailed back and said, bad luck there's nowt we can do then fair enough but nothing, just ignoring me - so it's kind of on principle i'm binnig it off. i'm just within the 14 days to return quibble free so i've raised the request - i've then a further 14 days to actually return the card. i'll give asus a few more days and if no response back it goes and i'll go back to avoiding them like the plague. but i'll keep my fingers crossed they come back to me.

Man of Honour
OP
HMcifMu.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

k0HZfc3.png

Date 16/11/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, Mike25, Link
Date 15/11/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, Phixsator, Link
Date 05/11/2018, Make Asus Strix, Thekwango, Link
Date 23/10/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, iB CoMpL3XiTy, Link
Date 23/10/2018, Make Reference AIO, Adaw, Link
Date 09/10/2018, Make Reference Air, Scott_DFT, Link
Date 25/09/2018, Make Reference AIO, X3T, Link
Date 10/09/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, Bloot, Link
Date 06/09/2018, Make PowerColor Red Devil, TimAhKin, Link
Date 06/09/2018, Make PowerColor Red Devil, rip-the-jacker, Link
Date 04/09/2018, Make Asus Strix, Boomstick777, Link
Date 31/08/2018, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Hades, Link
Date 30/08/2018, Make Asus Strix, Figo, Link
Date 29/08/2018, Make Reference Air, EL_JOCK, Link
Date 28/08/2018, Make PowerColor Red Devil, WYNIR0, Link
Date 12/08/2018, Make PowerColor Red Devil, nashathedog, Link
Date 18/07/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, Sumanji, Link
Date 15/07/2018, Make Reference AIO, LtMatt, Link
Date 30/06/2018, Make Sapphire Nitro, Panos, Link
Date 06/01/2018, Make Reference Air, uncivil_engineer, Link
Date 23/12/2017, Make Reference AIO, Nathan S, Link
Date 20/12/2017, Make Sapphire Nitro, nashathedog, Link
Date 04/12/2017, Make Reference AIO, essentialblend, Link
Date 04/12/2017, Make Reference AIO, calken, Link
Date 01/12/2017, Make Reference AIO, neil473, Link
Date 01/12/2017, Make Reference Air, EsaT, Link
Date 28/11/2017, Make Reference Air, Davedree, Link
Date 26/11/2017, Make Reference AIO, Urgentemente, Link
Date 25/11/2017, Make Reference AIO, Rezident, Link
Date 24/11/2017, Make Reference AIO, jimpsar, Link
Date 21/11/2017, Make Reference AIO, LoadsaMoney, Link
Date 14/11/2017, Make Reference Air, pete910, Link
Date 09/11/2017, Make Reference Air, TrixX, Link
Date 08/11/2017, Make Reference Air, acraftygnome, Link
Date 08/11/2017, Make Reference Air, ree, Link
Date 04/11/2017, Make Reference AIO, HEADRAT, Link
Date 03/11/2017, Make Reference Air, nashathedog, Link
Date 21/10/2017, Make Reference Air, Martini1991, Link
Date 01/10/2017, Make Reference Air, sharmanov, Link
Date 29/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Dempsey22, Link
Date 13/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Dicehunter, Link
Date 12/09/2017, Make Reference AIO, Kaapstad, Link
Date 06/09/2017, Make Reference Air, naLor, Link
Date 06/09/2017, Make Reference AIO, tres_kun, Link
Date 06/09/2017, Make Reference AIO, Biffa, Link
Date 05/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Lustral, Link
Date 05/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Synchrouk, Link
Date 02/09/2017, Make Reference AIO, Tinek, Link
Date 02/09/2017, Make Reference Air, AmateurExpert, Link
Date 01/09/2017, Make Reference AIO, Nemesis.ie, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Boomstick777, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Paul Campbell, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, shankly1985, Link
Date 30/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Chewie, Link
Date 30/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Shiari, Link
Date 30/08/2017, Make Reference Air, chaosophy, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, BadIronTree, Link
Date 28/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Neutral, Link
Date 26/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, iihavetoes, Link
Date 25/08/2017, Make Reference Air, disi, Link
Date 25/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, djbully, Link
Date 24/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Bonjour, Link
Date 24/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Kmodo, Link
Date 23/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dave2150, Link
Date 23/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Roughneck, Link
Date 21/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, diziet, Link
Date 19/08/2017, Make Reference Air, CapitalOne, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, NathG79, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Chrisc, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, DazQ87, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Smudge, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ChosenName, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, mattyc123, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, WhistleBlower07, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, nashathedog, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, heartburnron, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, vanpeebles, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Morve, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Howling, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Apache14, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dianbobo, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ubersonic, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, AMDMatt, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, TonyTurbo78, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, MDPlatts, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 64.

Soldato
Gents, because I have an last minute scheduled viewing for the house (through a neighbour), I will be able to assist everyone on Sunday-Monday with tweaking. (Had to run from Bristol back home tonight and pulling an all nighter painting a 6 bed house).

Rule of thumb. Remove -50mv to -75mv from P6 & P7, and add 25-50% PL. Leave everything else intact.
If you wish OC the HBM to 1050 to be safe if you want to keep the power low.

Associate
Looking for some advice from fellow 64 owners. Had my red devil for a couple of months (when they went on sale a little while ago) but up until the last few days I have not had a chance to really use it. Having played Assassins Creed on it the last few days I have noticed terrible coil wine (I seem to get one card with out it, then one with it and then with out it again etc), along with the fan ramping right up to full speed. With out headphones on the coil wine drowns out the audio and the fan when it does ramp up to full speed is too loud for them as well. I noticed it doing this even though the temperature in Wattman was around 65-67, which to me looks fine and the same as my last few cards seem to hover around.

So tonight I decided to just run HWInfo to monitor what ever else Wattman does not show. After a min or so I am seeing this
599xc4k.jpg.png
Now I have no idea what temps are normal/bad/good with this card. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have tried the balanced, turbo and I have also undervolted it based of a few of the values people have posted here. I see no noticeable difference, and to be honest I wouldn't expect a card to ramp its fan to full speed with in a min or two based on default settings. At least not at this time of year.

Associate
Ordered the Vega 64, arrived today. Super service from OCUK as normal.Would post a pic if i could work out how, LOL
would have loved to fit it and have a play, but due to the impulse purchase yesturday,i now have a card that is so long it hits my res, so going have to redo my loop, and even if it had fitted in ok, i didn't think about the fact it doesn't have a DVI and my monitor doesn't have Hdmi or displayport. so have to go source and new cable until i purchase a new monitor which is next on my shopping list.
But it does look nice. :)

Well got a picture up, round the wrong way hahahahah oh dear.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered the Vega 64, arrived today. Super service from OCUK as normal.Would post a pic if i could work out how, LOL
would have loved to fit it and have a play, but due to the impulse purchase yesturday,i now have a card that is so long it hits my res, so going have to redo my loop, and even if it had fitted in ok, i didn't think about the fact it doesn't have a DVI and my monitor doesn't have Hdmi or displayport. so have to go source and new cable until i purchase a new monitor which is next on my shopping list.
But it does look nice. :)

Well got a picture up, round the wrong way hahahahah oh dear.
What's that old card that's in the system I see?

Associate
I have a few questions as a new Vega 64 owner having spent the last 6 years or so with Nvidia cards that i'm hoping you guys can answer

I've been playing a lot of Farming Simulator 2017 (don't judge me!) and i'm finding that performance with my new Vega 64 is about the same (maybe even worse) that the GTX970 it replaced. I'm still getting stuttering and FPS drops and i dont know if it's just that the game itself runs badly in general or if it runs worse with AMD cards compared to Nvidia.

Having used Nvidia cards for a long time i'm used to setting fan curves in MSI Afterburner and i've tried to do the same with my Vega 64 and it seems that Radeon Settings overrides anything you set in Afterburner. Is there way i can set a custom fan curve as leaving Radeon Settings on default is producing some rather irritating spinning up and spinning down of the fans.

Like KentMan i've also never OC'd with Radeon Settings and i'm hesitant to try as i really dont know what i'm doing. I've read the overclocking guide linked in the OP of this thread but i think it was written around stock Vega 64 with lower clocks and voltage than my Sapphire Nitro+ so i'm not really sure where to start with my card.

Thanks a bunch.

Well first up I'd recommend grabbing OverdriveNTool just to make life a bit easier changing clocks, voltages and power targets. I personally don't like AB for Vega OC as it doesn't give proper P state editing. I do use it for the graph tracking of temps/perf though ;)

A monitoring tool like HWiNFO64, the sensors on GPU-Z or Afterburner if it's stable for you and keeping an eye on active clocks, power draw (yes I know it's not 100% accurate, but useful for seeing when throttling occurs) and voltage (enable voltage monitoring not editing in Afterburner).

Grab a SoftPP table that works for your card. I use a 200% version for Power target instead of the stock 50% allowing unrestricted Power target's however it's going to allow higher heat generation, something to keep in mind. I also use a custom water loop, so can take the extra power without too much issue, the blower doesn't fare so well, though removing the power limit prevents power throttling which can cause stuttering.

How I do my OC is by keeping P7 on the max frequency (1750MHz in my case) and then adjust the voltage between 950mv and 1250mv to determine a range which keeps the wattage low enough under heavy load and still gives good performance. For air I was using ~1100mv to keep heat build up low enough and keep performance high. For higher ambient temps I dropped it to 1050mv.

HBM should be able to reach 1100MHz, this is highly dependent on card though so I'd lower the core MHz to 1630MHz and test HBM up and up with Superposition (seems to be the first to react to HBM artifacts) and edge up to the point which it stays stable for you without artifacts. For me they show up as green splotches randomly on the screen. If I run 1180MHz and the temps breach 53C then I tend to see them. If they stay below 53C I don't see them during the run. So there's definitely temperature affecting issues with HBM. Keep in mind while I can bench with 1180MHz, I run 1100MHz normally.

OverdriveNTool also allows profiles to be saved. I have a few different ones for Benching and gaming. Also have a low power desktop profile. When Benching and Gaming I disable all power states below max to prevent stutters and drops in performance. Very easy to do with the tool vs Wattman and doesn't have the error of not applying that I find Wattman had, though I haven't used Wattman for months so it may have been fixed since I last used it.

For me a good base for the Blower was:
Core 1750Mhz @ 1050mv
HBM 1050MHz with 950mv on the HBM setting (it's min voltage for the card as far as we know, the BIOS sets a static HBM voltage that's not editable).
Power Target +200%

Disable the all P states other than P7 Core and P3 HBM for gaming and benching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom